Who are you?
Name: Prof. Dr. Helen May-Simera
Profession/Position/Enterprise: University Professor for Cell Biology. Johannes Gutenberg University.
- you are a leader… in what context?
In managing a research group and in being an educator.
- What is most important to you in leading?
Being able to maximize people’s potential and helping them grow in a challenging yet supportive environment.
- What do you enjoy about it? Why?
Watching trainees develop into independent scientists. Developing new research projects.
- What were important steps on your way to leadership?
Growing slowly and learning from mistakes. Getting advice from people that I trusted and looked up to.
- From your perspective… How does being female contributes to your success in leadership?
Being flexible and adaptable to different situations. Utilizing compassion and understanding in managing team members.
- How does being a scientist contributes to your success in leadership?
Having focus and a common definable goal
- What tips do you have for young female scientists who want to take a leadership role?
Focus on the research questions that drive you. Passion for a project brings a team together and is the strongest motivator.